Building on Shopify Markets’ success, Shopify Markets Pro and Shopify Translate & Adapt help merchants quickly expand into new markets without adding complexity
- Shopify Markets has democratized access to international trade for independent merchants
- Now, using Shopify Markets Pro, Shopify’s new cross-border record merchant solution, merchants can accelerate their global expansion in over 150 countries overnight without adding complexity.
- Shopify Translate & Adapt quickly and accurately locates the customer journey, the key to effective international sales
Trade is a global industry with global opportunities. That’s why, in 2021, we launched Shopify Markets to remove barriers to cross-border selling and allow Shopify merchants to go global by default. Since then, more than 175,000 traders around the world have used Markets to launch their international businesses. In the United States, merchants using Shopify Markets sell in 14 other countries on average.
“Using Shopify Markets has been a game changer for us. It has provided us with transparent and easy-to-digest data that helps us understand how we’re doing globally,” said David Wiggins, Head of Ecommerce at Walk London. “Using this data has also allowed us to make more strategic marketing decisions, such as offering a better shipping service, more localized payment methods or introducing new languages suited to specific markets. All of this helps fuel our marketing strategy. growth”.
Now, we’re building on Shopify Markets’ success with the launch of Shopify Markets Pro And Shopify Translate and adapt to make cross-border commerce even easier for Shopify merchants who want it accelerate their global expansion without adding complexity.
Shopify Markets Pro will help traders go global overnight
Shopify Markets Pro is our native merchant solution based on our partnership with Global-e that makes it easy for Shopify merchants to expand their businesses globally to over 150 countries overnight. That’s how:
- Manage compliance on behalf of the merchant
- Tax and fiscal obligations are different in each market and can often change; currencies fluctuate; and merchants need to be cautious about increasing fraudulent orders. All of these obligations make entry into new markets slow and costly. Using Shopify’s native record merchant solution, all of this complexity is handled for the merchant at scale.
- Access convenient express shipping with DHL
- Negotiating affordable international shipping rates as an individual merchant is difficult, especially for express shipping. With Markets Pro, Shopify trades on their behalf, giving merchants access to preferred competitive rates so they can delight consumers with fast shipping and prepaid duties.
- Create a seamless user experience
- Consumer expectations are different in every market and we know that creating a localized and seamless customer experience is the key to effective international sales. Consumers want to shop in their local currency, with their preferred payment method, and with no surprise duty on delivery.
- In fact, we found that the sale in a local currency increases GMV of international buyers by 7% *and enabling local payment methods increase the payout rate by approximately 6% **.
- Markets Pro makes it easy to optimize the consumer experience, building on Shopify Markets’ success to increase conversion by solving complexities such as local currency, payment methods, shipping, taxes and duties at scale.
“Shopify Markets Pro has simplified and scaled down our global expansion strategy without adding any of the complexities we would normally face when selling to international consumers,” said Jake Allain, COO of State & Liberty Clothing Co. “Understanding the nuances of global markets It’s a tall order, and having managed it for us from Shopify, the platform we’re already using to build our business, has allowed us to focus on designing high-quality products. ”
“Whether it’s selling for the first time internationally or scaling a nascent part of their business, merchants face new and evolving complexities, such as taxes, duties, pricing, language and payments. With Shopify Markets Pro and the our partnership with Global-e, we are enabling merchants to quickly scale their international sales using a merchant solution that would typically be inaccessible to independent brands, ”said Rohit Mishra, Director of Product at Shopify. “And because Markets Pro is integrated directly with the Shopify admin, it gives merchants a single, unified view of their business no matter where they sell.”
Learn more about how Shopify Markets and Shopify Markets Pro can help with international expansion here.
Shopify Translate & Adapt will help merchants deliver a nuanced, local consumer experience
International trade is all about the details. Consumers expect a localized experience. Shopify Translate and adapt, a new app that works with Shopify Markets and Shopify Markets Pro, will help merchants locate the customer journey quickly and accurately. That’s how:
- Translate their shop into different languages with manual and automatic translations.
- Merchants can now translate their store with the click of a button using machine translation and manual translation editing to fine-tune and refine content to reach more multilingual customers.
- Adaptation of customized content for each market. For instance:
- Merchants can take into account variations in dialects and languages, such as changing “pants” to “pants” when switching from American English to British English.
- They might create various shipping terms for each market, such as a minimum spend to receive free shipping.
- They might also add or remove lines from product descriptions to better reflect how individual products might be used or referenced in different countries.
- And they could tailor the content on a FAQ or contact page to better target customer inquiries.
- We know that creating a seamless customer journey has a real business impact: translation of content increases GMV by 13% *** by shoppers who see that localized content.
“Shopify Translate & Adapt has become a key component of our localization strategy,” said Gerard Justo Romero, Alohas’ e-commerce operations specialist. “As a global brand, it’s important to provide a familiar shopping experience to Alohas shoppers, no matter where they are. Shopify’s new translation app makes this simple and has become a vital asset in our translators’ toolkit. ”
“Expanding into new markets without a localized consumer experience means leaving untapped potential on the table,” Mishra continued. “Shopify Translate & Adapt reviews how Shopify merchants can create top-tier storefronts for every market, all from a single store and platform, and we think it will change the rules of the game to increase consumer empathy and conversion. “.
Cross-border trade is complex; Shopify makes it simple
This is just the beginning: let us continue to make cross-border trade not only accessible, but simple. Here are some of the updates that traders can expect soon:
- Available now, merchants can set shipping rates for international markets in local currencies, and multiple merchants can easily customize product prices in different markets with international pricing.
- We will soon be releasing the ability for merchants to customize the products they make available in each market.
- We continue to improve our global postal code validation to enhance seamless cross-border trade. Merchants now have zip code validation coverage in 100 new markets.
- And early next year, merchants will have the ability to customize how they route orders to different inventory locations to optimize fulfillment in different markets.
Shopify Markets Pro is available in Early Access for US traders starting today. Find out more here.
Shopify Translate & Adapt is available to all merchants globally starting today. Find out more here.
* Based on a Shopify study conducted in April 2021
** Based on a Shopify study conducted from September 1, 2021 to February 28, 2022 excluding the weeks of Black Friday / Cyber Monday (November 10 – December 08 2021)
*** Based on a Shopify study conducted March 22, 2021 – May 7, 2021