Here is an overview of the hardware, via its official website:
The next generation of virtual reality games
Experience new sensations with stunning 4K HDR visuals, revolutionary new controllers and genre-defining games – all made possible by the power of PlayStation 5.
Explore new realities with the PlayStation VR2 headset
Exciting new worlds come to life in stunning visual clarity and in extraordinarily immersive and thrilling ways with PlayStation VR2 Sense technology.
- 4K HDR display – Experience breathtaking VR environments in sharp focus with 4K High Dynamic Range images and up to 120 fps1, as two 2000 x 2040 OLED displays deliver four times the resolution generated by the original PlayStation VR headset.
- Improved comfort – Enjoy comfortable gaming sessions through a wide 110 degree field of view and a light and well balanced Fresnel lens. The lens adjustment dial allows you to customize the spacing between the lenses to match your eye position for an optimal screen image. The headset also includes a vent that allows airflow to the lenses, reduces fogging and improves player comfort.
- Eye tracking – Interact in new and realistic ways, as the PlayStation VR2 headset detects the movement of your eyes1, allowing for greater emotional response and better expression when meeting other players online. Eye detection cameras follow your line of sight when you aim or look around, while advanced foveated rendering techniques enhance the viewing experience by adjusting resolutions to locate and enhance whatever you’re focusing on.
- Inside Out monitoring – Play free as PlayStation VR2 follows you and your controllers through four cameras built into the headset. Your movements and the direction you look are reflected in the game without the need for an external camera.
- Feedback on the headset – Feel subtle and responsive headset vibrations at key moments while gaming1. Created by a single integrated motor, these vibrations add an intelligent tactile element to the sensory immersion experienced while playing. Detect your character’s high pulse during moments of tension, the rush of objects passing by your head, or the thrust of your vehicle as you whiz forward.
- Tempest 3D AudioTech – Surround yourself with incredibly realistic soundscapes1, as game audio dynamically adjusts to your position and head movements1. Feel the presence of a character as they whisper in your ear, spot friends and foes with their shots or footsteps, and experience the creeping terror of an approaching threat from any direction.
- Single cable connection – Jump straight into new virtual worlds with a simple cable connection to the PlayStation 5 console’s front USB port. PlayStation VR2 is quick and easy to set up – just plug it in and play.
Introducing the PlayStation VR2 Sense Controller
Interact with virtual worlds in surprising new ways with haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, precision tracking and finger touch detection1, all integrated into a unique ergonomic design.
- Sphere design – Grab the new intuitive PlayStation VR2 Sense controller and experience freedom of movement and a realistic and natural gaming experience thanks to a well-balanced and ergonomic design, allowing you to focus on comfortably exploring the game world you are in .
- Analog sticks and buttons – Take additional control of your gaming actions and gear with traditional analog sticks and action buttons split across two controllers, along with an Options button and a Create button. In addition to adaptive triggers, both controllers also feature a “grip” button to grab game objects.
- Finger touch detection – Interact with objects and game environments naturally, even when you are not actively pressing a button, as finger touch detection1 allows the PlayStation VR2 Sense controller to replicate natural movements and gestures, allowing you to reach and touch the world virtual.
- Tactile feedback – Hear realistic and detailed responses to your gameplay actions1. From subtle and precise vibrations to intense pulses, a wide range of sensations in the game world can be transmitted to your hands. Feel what it feels like to shoot or hit with different weapons, craft tools, touch various environmental textures, and travel across rolling terrain.
- Adaptive triggers – Experience different levels of strength and tension as you interact with your gear and play environments1. From pulling back an ever-tighter bowstring, to crushing objects with your hands or feeling a weapon jammed in the heat of combat, adaptive triggers physically connect you to your on-screen actions for a deep sense of
PlayStation VR2 Sense technology
Enjoy enhanced sensory and emotional experiences with PlayStation VR2 Sense1 technology which combines eye tracking, headset feedback, 3D audio and the new intuitive PlayStation VR2 Sense controller to create an incredibly deep immersive sensation.
- Feedback on the headset
- Adaptive triggers
- Tactile feedback
- Finger touch detection
- Eye tracking
- Tempest 3D AudioTech
PlayStation VR2 will be released in early 2023.
Watch the trailer below.